We are here to help
Northshore Lactation Consulting specializes in supporting families through the transition of bringing a baby into the family with less stress. All families deserve a visit with an experienced lactation consultant to make sure you are getting off to the best start possible. We have over 20 years of experience helping families successfully nurse their babies.
Lactation Consults can be made before or after your baby is born. All of your lactation visits will be held by the same lactation consultant, helping to ensure you will not be given conflicting advice from different providers.
We offer private lactation consults in our office for all families, including those who have had home births, birth center births and hospital births.
We provide personalized and holistic care while working with families to solve problems that can arise from early in the nursing relationship to weaning.
All appointments are thorough and include a complete assessment and plan.
An hour-long Lactation Consultation includes:
- Complete medical history for parent and baby
- Complete physical assessment for parent and baby
- Infant weight check before and after feeding
- Help with latch, positioning, hand expression and pumping
- Help with supplementing, if needed
- Education and answers to all questions, including baby care
- A written plan for you
- A visit summary sent to your primary care provider
Northshore Midwives & Lactation Consulting is a preferred provider for most insurance companies, including Medicaid. Lactation consultations are covered by most insurance companies.
Please call us with any questions regarding your individual plan.
Andrea is the only Licensed Midwife in the area who is also an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). Please go to “About” to learn more about Andrea’s many years of experience as a Midwife and Lactation Consultant.
Andrea successfully breastfed her own babies, including twins, for 2 ½ years!
Contact Us today to set up an appointment.
Benefits of Human Milk for Baby
- Ideal nutrition for baby
- Promotes healthy weight gain and helps prevent obesity later in life
- Promotes stronger immune system
- Contains important antibodies that protect against viral and bacterial infections
- Protects against severe lower respiratory disease
- Protects against diarrhea, constipation and reflux
- Lower rates of allergies, eczema and asthma
- Protects against diseases such as spinal meningitis and diabetes
- Protects against childhood cancers
- Lower rates of hospitalization and infant mortality
- Decreases the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
Benefits of Lactating for Parent:
- Less postpartum bleeding
- Protects against cancer
- Lowers the risk of osteoporosis
- Releases oxytocin (the love hormone)
- Lowers the rate of depression
- Saves you up to $5,000 per year
- Earlier return to pre-pregnancy weight
- Parents have up to six times less absentee from work
Sources: AAP, U.S. Dept of Health & Human services, Cleveland Clinic